I can’t believe it’s Valentine’s day tomorrow and I haven’t done a thing for it yet. Not that I’m an active Valentine’s day pooper but I do like to mail sweet tokens of love and gratitude to my dearest and nearest.
So I quickly baked lemon, lavender and rose petal biscuits and popped them in these pouches I’ve made.
Trace the xox onto sticky paper and punch a hole with a puncher or perforator to make a circle in the middle of the O as in step 2. Use textile paint for the xox. You can download the instructions for making the pouch and the template of the xox right here.
Here’s the recipe I used for the lemon, rose petal and lavender biscuits:
200gr golden caster sugar
2 tbsp dried lavender
1 tbsp dried rose petals (option)
zest of 2 lemons
245gr plain flour
¼ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
180gr unsalted butter (chopped in small cubes)
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 egg yolk
½ tsp vanilla extract
- Put the sugar, lavender and rose petals in a bowl mix with a spoon. Add the lemon zest and put aside.
- In a food processor or blender, add the flour, baking powder and salt, mix. Add the mixture as in 1, mix . Add the butter and mix until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs,
- In a small bowl, mix together the lemon juice, egg yolk and vanilla extract. Add the mixture to the rest. Stir and knead until you have a firm dough.
- Roll the dough into a cylinder and cover with plastic wrap. Chill in the fridge for one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 175 °C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and remove plastic wrap. Dust the surface and the rolling pin with flour and roll out dough in a circular shape about 5mm thick. Use cookie cutters to cut out shapes and transfer to the baking tray.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until slightly golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Dust with icing sugar and dried lavender.
Have a lovely Valentine’s Day tomorrow.