Home & Garden

September Garden

12/09/2013

And all of a sudden it’s cold outside, am I wearing socks in my shoes and do I need to put the heating on. Summer left us just over the weekend and my garden is changing.

This is what it looks like today. I’m so pleased.

Gardening, like decorating, is all about taste. I personally don’t like manicured gardens with perfectly cut hedges, flower beds that compliment one another and no room for growth. I basically don’t like gardens that are not allowed to be a garden.

Each spring I plant new stuff in my raised beds and just wait what happens next. Each year I do this, I love it even more as I get to experiment. I will not cut, not replant, everything that goes in in spring will stay there until it’s time to clean up. So year by year I’ll have a different garden.

What I’ve learned from this year’s garden is that spring was great, summer good but the early autumn garden is too green. I forgot to plant autumn flowers.

The geraniums are still doing great, the verbena I’ve planted two years ago throughout the whole garden are also doing fantastic, but I’ll have to sow more flowers next year.

Thank you so much for reading and for your comments. They boost me, to know that I’m not just writing into the void.

How’s your garden growing, what kind of early autumn plants do you recommend?

You Might Also Like

34 Comments

• Reply LieselotVD 12/09/2013 at 15:20

Hi Yvonne, you have beautiful garden! Love it! It is in perfect harmony with the rest of your house (and interior). Regards of a big fan of your blog!

• Reply Maai 12/09/2013 at 16:00

It’s beautiful and I love that kind of a garden too. We do the same here. Love Maai

• Reply Mise 12/09/2013 at 16:57

Japanese anemone blooms and lasts wonderfully in autumn. It also spreads, which I like – one day I may even have a full lawn of it with its happy bobbing pinks. Your garden is utterly charming.

• Reply Jana 12/09/2013 at 17:01

Well Yvonne, of course you’re not writing into the void. With each post I’m a greater fan of your style in all its entirety; can’t wait for the next one. If I lived closer I’d come to your fair for sure. Regards from Slovenia!

• Reply Catherine 12/09/2013 at 17:10

Beautiful and inspirational, just like you! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Silly Old Suitcase 12/09/2013 at 17:51

…en toen glipte ik tijdens de Fair effe stiekem je tuin in, wauw, ik hou ervan.
    Niks strak gazon en saaie plantenborders maar mooi, speels en kleurrijk.
    Zo zou ik mijn tuintje ook wel willen…

xx

ps ben aan de African grannies begonnen, je vorige blogpost kwam net
    op het juiste moment want ik begin iedere herfst aan een nieuw haak of brei
    project en had even inpiratie nodig…

• Reply lmolwave@gmail.com 12/09/2013 at 18:21

I love reading your blog and viewing your photos. My Mother was born in Haarlem and only came to Canada as an adult. Reading your blog gives me a connection to my roots – thank you!

• Reply Sheena 12/09/2013 at 19:15

Ik ben zelf ook nog dringend op zoek naar wat tips om deze herfst de tuin toch nog wat op te fleuren, dus ik volg het hier wat mee op ๐Ÿ™‚
    Jouw tuin ziet er trouwens super uit!

• Reply mrs liss 12/09/2013 at 20:54

Beautiful photos, great garden, love your geraniums and dahlias, here in Australia I’ve just planted some new dahlia tubers and hoping for rain, very warm and dry already. Here we can grow Japanese windflowers (anemone) for autumn flowering, lovely graceful flowers that bob in the breeze.

• Reply jo 12/09/2013 at 22:29

i have sedum ‘autumn joy’ and salvia ‘anthony parker’ that flower late into autumn. also agastache ‘sangria’ flowers for ages too. i’m in australia, and i got mine from the diggers club. i wonder if they ship seeds worldwide….

i have sowed so many veg & flower seeds recently – i’m so excited for summer..

jo

• Reply Maureen 13/09/2013 at 01:38

I like mums. They bloom where I am in late summer and last into late fall. They look great with the fall pumpkins and corn stalks. Love your blog, Yvonne. You make me wish I could come see your work in person.

• Reply Elizabeth 13/09/2013 at 08:21

Yvonne – I think that first image is my fave Yvestown pic of all time!! So beautiful. And those are some lucky little chickens having bunting on their house! In our garden (it’s spring), the cherry blossom is just starting to flower and the sweet peas are creeping up the wall lining our driveway. The daisies are out too and spinach Alice planted as a seedling is putting down her feet in the herb garden. Not as beautifiul as yours, but we’re getting there… xox

• Reply Claire Robinson 13/09/2013 at 10:20

Such pretty photographs! Our garden is lacking too in autumn colour, though the mallow is still prettily pink. I fancy adding masses of Japanese anemones… I have been so tempted to purchase the same watering can, it looks beautiful!

• Reply Leslie-Anne 13/09/2013 at 10:23

Autumn is my favourite time of year. I don’t have a garden, but I sure do enjoy looking at yours.

• Reply Alison 13/09/2013 at 10:34

for a few days I couldn’t find your blog, but glad to find it again. I love Cosmos daisies, if you keep deadheading them they flower right through

• Reply Christine 13/09/2013 at 17:23

I almost can’t stand how beautiful your pictures are. I think I would want to stay outside all day.

• Reply Leanne M 13/09/2013 at 20:51

Hi Yvonne, your garden looks gorgeous, I adore the window box in the first photograph and have pinned it – such beauty, like the rest of your home.

• Reply Bee 14/09/2013 at 01:30

I love your home (and blog) so much! Mums are my favorite fall flower — they’re just so … FALL. They never fail to make me smile.

• Reply Bobbie 14/09/2013 at 07:59

Looking a great garden! But the hardest thing any gardener knows is succession gardening… Always something in flower just at the right time… and Autumn is always tricky. I go for lots of Heleniums which are easy to sow and grow and come in amazing colour combos (google images will show you) and they look good in jugs with berries and autumn leaves too!
    Keep up the good work… Love your gorgeous blog but I am guilty of not leaving comments, so sorry x

• Reply tineke 14/09/2013 at 11:57

Heel gezellig! Mijn droom is een enorme pluktuin, zodat ik in zomer tot in het kleine kamerje boeketjes
    uit eigen tuin neer kan zetten. Mijn lievelingsbloem is de Lathyrus, had ik in mijn bruidsboeket (al weer bijna 25 jaar geleden, zucht).

• Reply Sally 14/09/2013 at 14:31

It looks lovely and it’s my kind of garden too. I want a window box full of geraniums next year like yours! I have Rudbeckias in my garden this year (a lucky find on a charity stall this summer) and they have really brightened up my autumn garden. Classic autumn plants are Echinaceas, heleniums, asters and Japanese anemones, plus chrysanthemums of course.

• Reply Linda 14/09/2013 at 23:14

Just want to say Hi. Lovely garden, makes me want to throw out a quilt and take a nap.

• Reply juliette 14/09/2013 at 23:14

I love this blog, I have been reading for at least five years and this garden post really got me! I have been gardening furiously here in Utah because it is raining everyday and all kinds of plants are on sale. I like to add mums (chrysanthemum) in the fall, sometimes they come back sometimes they don’t! they come in pale pinks and pale yellows now, not just ugly rust colors. Asters also flower in the fall here.

Juliette

• Reply Stephanie 15/09/2013 at 13:12

Ooh wat een heerlijke tuin! Zo kleurig, fris en gezellig!

• Reply jennifer 16/09/2013 at 19:02

I just picked a handful of bachelor’s buttons at our community farm….pink, red and white. They look adorable in the jadite pottery milk jug inherited from my grandparents. I was tired of zinnias, which look very tired themselves at this point in the year.

• Reply Jake Gariepy 16/09/2013 at 19:15

Your garden is lovely! The pink of your geraniums is lovely! In fact, the lightness of your whole garden is refreshing. Like yours, my garden is basically done by the autumn. I rarely think to plant fall flowers. But, there is one flower that lasts from late summer through the fall – the Japanese anemone. They are very tall, they spread beautifully and they are completely reliable. They have a very green, bushy leaf base and then very tall stems with light pink or white or even lavender flowers. The flower buds are perfectly round and lovely even before they bloom. After the blooms fade you are left with just the round, button-like centers which are also very attractive. I like the way these plants look even after the flowers are all done. I think that your climate is much like ours in Oregon, so they would probably work well for you! Enjoy!

• Reply Denise 17/09/2013 at 19:16

Wat een prachtige tuin! Ziet er zo vrolijk uit ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Sarah@ potteringsandwanderings.blogspot.co.uk 19/09/2013 at 12:33

I have loved reading this today. I’m sat in blustery Hampshire looking out at my garden. It was, as yours, wonderful in Spring, good in Summer but now needing some Autumn love! I bought lots of pink Cyclamen last week which has definitely helped, i think i’ll buy more. Thanks for all the updates, it always inspires me to get my wellies on and get out there…just not in the rain today ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Reply Loraine 22/09/2013 at 08:43

Wow, What fantastic photo’s of your amazing garden, all so pretty. Really enjoying your blog and love your style. Thanks for sharing. xx

• Reply Jack Benson 23/09/2013 at 10:25

I love outdoor decor its looking perfect..

• Reply Aria 25/09/2013 at 10:51

I love your garden, it’s just perfect! I would love to see a map or diagram of your garden plan as I’m in the process of planning out mine. And I just adore your little chook enclosure! You’ve inspired me to paint my chook house and give them cute little bunting ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Mieke 28/09/2013 at 04:03

Prachtige tuin Yvonne! Ik lees je blog al weer bijna 3 jaar met veel plezier maar laat zelden een comment achter. Het is gewoon altijd feest als je ons weer mooie foto’s van je huis laat zien ๐Ÿ˜€

• Reply Lana 30/09/2013 at 16:35

Your garden is so pretty, I love the geraniums in the window box ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply 30smagazine 07/10/2013 at 11:10

Wat heb je toch een heerlijke tuin. Echt heel mooi. Ik wou dat ik zo’n tuin had.