Home & Garden

Living Room Under Construction

And now that the boot room is all happy and white we’re cracking on to the largest room on the ground floor and that’s the living room. This is the bare living room today. I don’t mind seeing the bones of a room before covering it up and making it pretty.

This room once used to be two rooms but one of the previous owners made it to one room and took the old fireplaces out and placed a new one in the centre of the two rooms, making it the heart of the room. Although the fireplace isn’t original and a bit plump we are going to leave the layout of the room for what it is as we like the thought of having a fire going while we eat, read, watch TV, work, entertain and lounge.

This will be the eating part of the room and the top picture will be the seating part of the room. The kitchen is behind the door in the back.

It may look like chaos but it’s not as we go incredible fast. All the old plaster, beams, crappy woodwork etc. are stripped. During the week Bo and I pulled all the cables through for the new electricity and today Bo connected all the new sockets. We cheered loudly by each tested socket that worked. That’s so exciting, pulling cables, plugging it into the mainframe and by magic everything works. Tomorrow we are going to start on the ceiling as it’s going to be lowered a wee bit, after that we’ll have to put a new floor in as this one is covered in glue.

And in a month’s time the magical plaster people will walk out leaving it slick and clean. After that it’s painting, bookcase making and decorating!!

I’ve been thinking about colours, Farrow & Ball’s Blue Gray or Light Blue instead … tiles, what sort of tiles for the fire place? I love this process, I love finding furniture and thinking cushion fabrics. I don’t mind all the mess and dust as I know it’s for a good cause.

Have a wonderful weekend, I’ll be spending mine in the above room.

You Might Also Like

22 Comments

Judith
    23/11/2012 at 20:31

I love this rough look and all the potential! Beautiful pictures of the “before”. Makes me realize that I should have taken more “before” pictures of our home, because you’ll never see it again like that ๐Ÿ˜‰ Oh and I’m totally with you on the working sockets: they’re magical! Happy weekend!

Charlotte
    23/11/2012 at 20:48

I like light blue for walls. And how is it that your Henry is Red and not a pink Henrietta!!

Yvonne Eijkenduijn
      23/11/2012 at 20:55

The pink one is called “Hetty”. I had Henry first and he’s still going strong, I might have to get him a Hetty ๐Ÿ˜‰

Nicola
    23/11/2012 at 21:24

How exciting! I love F&B Light Blue, we have used it two houses. I was going to suggest Delft tiles but have a feeling that there was something like that here that you’ve removed (maybe they were cheap copies?) x

Yvonne Eijkenduijn
      24/11/2012 at 09:48

Yes you were right cheap copies. I was thinking about Delft tiles but still haven’t mad my mind up.

Naturally Carol
    23/11/2012 at 21:34

It intrigues me that you do all your own electrical stuff. Have you both got licences, or do you just need to get it checked? I’m not sure we’d be allowed to wire up a room over here without a qualified electrician to sign off on it. I am looking forward to seeing this room develop!

Yvonne Eijkenduijn
      24/11/2012 at 09:47

Hi Carol, yes one is allowed to DIY and get it checked and sealed by an electrician when things are done. Our neighbour across the street is an electrician so we’re covered.

josie-jo
    23/11/2012 at 22:28

so exciting!!

Gillian
    23/11/2012 at 22:34

That room has good bones. I can’t wait to see how you transform it. x

Stephanie
    24/11/2012 at 00:06

Wauw! Het ziet er nu al prachtig uit!Fijn weekend!

Lisa
    24/11/2012 at 03:47

You have a neat house! I can’t wait to see it when it’s done!

JEnn
    24/11/2012 at 05:55

You are so fortunate to be married to a man who can do this stuff – and be capable yourself. It’s tough being single, but I am learning!

Mummy's own decorating
    24/11/2012 at 16:26

Oh wow!!! I can’t wait to see the result and follow the whole process! You really inspired me, but we just painted our livingroom in a Pebble colour today and now I wished we would have done it in light blue instead as it would look so nice against the dark wooden floor and the creamy white skirting boards….My husband would go mad if I even mention another colour now when the paint downstairs still is wet…:)

Anki
    24/11/2012 at 17:26

Wow, Yvonne, jullie gaan hard zeg! Goed bezig! Ik ben zo benieuwd wat je ervan gaat maken qua styling! Misschien kunnen we binnenkort weer eens ergens inspiratie op gaan doen? xx

Frรถken Prickig
    25/11/2012 at 10:15

Looking forward to seeing this! Good luck!

diana
    25/11/2012 at 15:53

mooie tegels (ook voor de wand!, al bedoel je hier waarschijnlijk bodemtegels tegen de vonken…)http://www.golem-baukeramik.de/de/jugendstilfliesen/bodenfliesen/feinsteinzeug_mehrfarbig/index.html….

Silly Old Suitcase
    25/11/2012 at 18:44

Wauw.De muren in Blue Grey en dan echte oude witjes in de haard?…
    in witmix zodat ze de kleur aannemen van de wanden?…
    oh ik zie het al voor me hoor ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Wat jullie ook kiezen, het wordt vast prachtig!

xx

jeannette
    25/11/2012 at 20:45

great to see you back in reno mode.paul bommer makes the most beautiful modern delft tile$$$$.

they are often featured on spitalfields life.

the gentle author at spitalfields life is not rich enough to purchase delft. he collects john moyr smith ones, which are quite wonderful.

i will be so excited to see how you go here. thrilling to be on the reno ride with you again.

Rhiannon
    26/11/2012 at 11:11

Wow – Very impressed at the speed you are zipping along ! And that you do the electrical part ! But I find it all very encouraging and makes me contemplate taking some rooms in our place further back to the “bones” than I originally intended.

Michelle
    28/11/2012 at 14:13

wow – you are very brave doing these big jobs but I know the finished result will be beautiful. I love the look of the Blue Gray colour for walls. Can’t wait to see when you’ve worked your magic with this room….

Scarlet-Sometimes
    30/11/2012 at 23:19

good luck with the renovation,what a hassely time of year to be doing it, but judging from your last one, it will be well worth it

Holly from Love, Thomas
    01/12/2012 at 21:36

Oh wow…can’t believe how different it looks in the short time it’s been since I was over there snapping away! How exciting!!! Looking forward to watching the transformation. Holly x