Craft & DIY

How To Make Bunting

Those in central Europe did you survive the weekend heath? I’ve been soaked in my own sweat for the entire two days and hated it. So I went downstairs, where my studio is and where the temperature is a constant lovely 15C, and started sewing for the upcoming Yvestown Fair.

I did a couple of meters of bunting to start with because a fair is not a fair without bunting.

Let me tell you how I do it.

Download the template and follow the instructions.

Next you want to prepare the bias tape:

After you’ve done your lengths of bias tape and your flag making you’ll have to attach the two together and make the bunting. Now I’m not a pinner, I actually avoid as much pinning as one can avoid pinning. This is how I do it and saves me a lot of wasted pinning time.

Get your gear in action, flags and bias tape. Make a pile of the flags you’d like to use, pick off top.

Start with about 20 cm of stitched empty bias tape for fastening.

1. After 20 cm you’ll have to start to sew on your first flag. Do this by tugging the flag in the folded bias tape, stitch just the top bit so it’s secure.

2. Wiggle and tuck until the flag is perfectly lined with the bias tape.

3. Sew along.

4. Now you want to leave some space between the flags and trust me just play by eye as you will not see this when the bunting is complete. I go for approximate 7 cm between each flag.

The fabric is an old stash of fat quarters I bought from The Fat Quarter Shop ages ago.

Watch the tutorial and don’t let those fast moving fingers scare you off, it’s easy peasy!

Music credits: The Camping Store by John Renbourn and Clive Carroll (OMPS Driving Lessons 2007)

You Might Also Like

20/08/2012 at 00:23

The bunting looks awesome, those little flags always bring a smile to my face. Thank you for the tutorial <3Saturday I enjoyed the sun, but yesterday was just too hot (O_o). By the way I'm sure it's the 'komkommertijd' that causes a lack of comments. Internet is usually a bit quiet around this time of year.

20/08/2012 at 11:53

Yvonne,I don’t think I have ever left a comment for you before but I want you to know that your blog is on my very short list of “Best Blogs” that I visit every day! I love seeing what you post because I love your style in all things.

Anita McKenna
    20/08/2012 at 14:16

Probably heatwave has got to people and they are unable to comment !The bunting looks great and I will try to attempt it, even though I can’t really sew !
    Good luck with the fair, would have loved to go, but am incapacitated on a sofa in London at present !
    Take care and love your blog.

20/08/2012 at 15:34

Hello there,I am a long-time “stalker” of your blog….LOL. I added it to my blog roll some time ago and have immensely enjoyed the photos and commentary you post. I truly appreciate your talents and your eye for arranging, designing and creating. Sorry I haven’t left many comments, but I just wanted to let you know that I thoroughly agree with Leslie-Anne that this blog is one of the “Best”.

Thanks Yvonne!

20/08/2012 at 17:54

Afgelopen avond was het 31 C. op onze slaapkamer. Ik heb in de huiskamer op de bank geslapen. Bedankt voor de tutorial. De vlaggetjes zijn erg leuk.Ik heb een, waarschijnlijk vreemde, vraag voor jou. Bestaat de Alma nog in Lommel! Ik heb goede jeugdherinneringen aan de kip met friet in het restaurant. Dan heb ik het wel over zo’n 35/37 jaar geleden.

Colleen Low
    20/08/2012 at 19:53

Hi! I love the bunting. The fabric you used for the flags is really great! I look forward to seeing more on the fair. I love your blog. It is sweet!

Silly Old Suitcase
    20/08/2012 at 20:06

…en dan zit je te zweten, wachtend op een fris briesje…is het zo’n warme wind diedoor je haren waait…pfoeh!
    Mag ik in jouw kelder komen zitten, aan mijn eigen vlaggetjes naaien?
    Deze vlaggetjes zien er fijn en fris uit!
    Ik heb echt zin in the Fair…heb je nog tips voor reizen met de trein van
    Maastricht naar Lommel??

succes, groet x

Traci Barr Segal
    20/08/2012 at 20:15

Dear Yvonne,Your blog brings such a smile to my face. I’m always pleased when you have added a new post. I love colors and your choices are so fresh and inspiring. I wish we were visiting family in the Netherlands during your fair; I would be there. Looking foreword to seeing lots of photos of the event!

20/08/2012 at 20:28

Wat een gezelligheid! Heb toevallig ook net vlaggetjes op Instagram gezet. Die waren wel van Engelpunt en hangen hier al 2 jaar te verkleuren (steeds mooier te worden). Hier dit weekend goed te doen met fijn zee briesje. Next time als het zo warm is zet ik stiekem een campingbedje in de kelder. Kan ‘lief mensje’ lekker in slaap vallen op het gezoem van je naaimachine. Ben benieuwd naar de volgende kelder projecten voor de fair.

20/08/2012 at 22:03

How fun to watch you sew! I think Yvestown is just getting better and better! I’m quite jealous that I will not get to come to the fair 🙁
    Maybe the heat is discouraging comments? I know it’s making me cranky, although I can’t complain too much, because we have wonderful, wonderful air conditioning! It’s been just crickets chirping for my blog too, though.

20/08/2012 at 22:41

Yvonne,Lovely bunting! I’m just starting a crochet bunting inspired on your pretty fresh colours.
    I was wondering if you can share how to make some tags with the brand name on it. Thanks!
    Gloria x

debbie hosaflook
    20/08/2012 at 23:18

I LOVE this site and long for the day when i can make my house have all the beautiful colors as your home. Not sure that will ever happen with 4 sons and a hubby who loves the great outdoors, fishing and hunting. But a gal can dream right? I am sooooooo happy that you have included a tutorial complete with video for bunting. I LOVE bunting and am new to sewing, so this post is most helpful for me. PLEASE include many more of these in the future if at all possible. Have a lovely day:)Debbie

21/08/2012 at 06:39

Hello, it’s my first comment here : I discovered your blog 4 days ago… And I visit it every day now !I noticed that during summer holidays people leave fewer comments… maybe they are far from their PC or from the blogosphere…
    Thanks a lot for the “how to make”. Have a nice day (here, in Lyon – France – it’s still so hot…)

found and sewn
    21/08/2012 at 07:52

thanks for the great post! lovely bunting x

21/08/2012 at 08:46

I love how you’ve included the video 🙂 thanks heaps for this.

21/08/2012 at 09:50

Kijk, van dit soort slingers word ik gewoon heel vrolijk! :-))
    Het leven is een feest, maar je moet wel zelf de slingers ophangen! 😉
    Liefs Anneke

Zoete Kers

21/08/2012 at 18:12

Hi Yvonne, your bunting looks beautiful! Maybe you could sell some in your shop? I’d love to buy some, love the fabrics. Wish I could come to the fair…. bet it will be lovely 🙂

21/08/2012 at 19:51

Al jaaaren volg ik je blog en van iedere post word ik blij!Maar van deze duidelijke tutoral helemaal, wil het liefst meteen aan de slag om nog voor zaterdag stoere vlaggetjeslijn te maken voor mijn zoon’s tweede verjaardag. Ik denk dat het wel gaat lukken. Bedankt voor de inspiratie.

Giova Brusa
    21/08/2012 at 19:53

Ohhh, now I’m definitely coming to the fair with so much lovely bunting!! Can’t wait to meet all my favorite crafters in one place!

21/08/2012 at 22:00

I do love your site! And I have to say, I’m totally bummed I can’t make it over to the Yvestown Fair. I LOVE Belgium and would love to see your home in person and see all the goodies you’ll have curated for the fair. Have a great time!

21/08/2012 at 22:44

Ok, please can I buy that??? It’s so gorgeous and I can just picture it hanging above by little girl’s white wooden cot! Not a chance on earth that I could make it myself! Name your price 🙂

22/08/2012 at 00:29

COMPLETELY agree. One of my most favourite blogs ever. The colours, the photos, the furniture, the food, the chickens, the garden, so so lovely. x

22/08/2012 at 04:28

Your style is so clean and pretty Yvonne – I love it! My home is my favourite place to be in the whole world so I adore reading about someone else who loves their hearth too. Your tips and photos are always inspiring. Yvestown always brightens my day when I’m at work, away from home 🙂 Lots of blog love to you!

22/08/2012 at 07:41

Hello Yvonne, I think my google reader sometimes goes on holiday and doesn’t update with the new posts! I saw you on another blog list and wondered what was happening over here. Anyway love the bunting, good luck with all the organizing to do with the fair. I think blogland has been quiet this summer. All the best Heather x

22/08/2012 at 11:48

Super leuk! Vooral het filmpje is duidelijk,Ik wilde al lang een naaimachine kopen maar kan nog helemaal niks,
    Met zo’n uitleg moet zo’n vlaggenlijntje toch gaan lukken!

Dank Yvonne : )

Colleen | Hello Olive
    22/08/2012 at 14:49

This is a great tutorial! Thanks for sharing! x

23/08/2012 at 00:51

You are so thoughtful to share such fun projects with us! Thanks 🙂

23/08/2012 at 17:55

wat goed dat je dat openlijk checkt, of je blog nog wel gewaardeerd wordt als je je dat afvraagt. Kom hier nog steeds graag, je heldere stijl, fotografie en teksten… love it.Daarbij wil ik nog graag zeggen dat ik vind dat je hele mooie handen hebt 🙂

23/08/2012 at 22:31

I do love your site and always visit regularly, but you do a lot of um, how to say it nicely? promotional posts… like, about products. I used to love reading about your home and crafts, but there isn’t so much of that now. I don’t comment so much when it is promotional I guess. I just scanned through your posts, and that’s deffo the pattern here, more people comments when the posts is about your home or crafts. I like the way you shared the instagram magnets and stuff on your fridge though, that felt more personal and looks so pretty 🙂 I hope you don’t mind me being honest x

Yvonne Eijkenduijn
      23/08/2012 at 22:47

You’ve got a point there. Although, if I browse through my archives I find that I mix it rather well. I also like to show readers where I like to shop and where I like to go to as that’s also a part of me and what my blog is about. I just want to share everything I do and not just my home and garden alone. So yes there are a bit of promotional bits here an there (to support the art) and I really know people like the A lists as I notice that by the affiliate turn out, although the comments as scares, the spending isn’t. For that am I all grateful. I will however spend a little more time in the future to blog less about sponsor stuff. Thank you for your feedback and for reading xox

24/08/2012 at 21:29

Hi Yvonne – I am still loving your blog and your posts, but know I have commented less. For some reason Yvestown stopped showing up in my blog reader, so I have to remind myself to pop over and check for new posts. Love the bunting tutorial. I have never made bunting, but you’ve inspired me to give it a try. x

Yvonne Eijkenduijn
      24/08/2012 at 22:12

Gillian, you have to subscribe to my new feed. That’s the reason it stopped showing in your reader. But lovely to have you here xox

traduction anglais en français
    28/08/2012 at 13:43

So pretty – love it!

30/08/2012 at 23:49

You posted this literally the day after I made bunting this way! I thought that was so synchronistic – and it saved me from having to make a tutorial! I just linked back to yours! 🙂 Awesome job!

Bij twijfel rechtsaf « Jodelahiti!
    23/11/2012 at 15:12

[…] dit idee komt hier vandaan. Ook in Jodelamini’s kamer zijn de vogeltjes inmiddels neergestreken… Share […]

14/01/2013 at 10:44

Bedankt voor je lesje vlaggen maken vanavond ga ik het uitproberen! Ziet er nu geweldig gemakkelijk uit.

Banderines de Cath Kidston | jessica davey photo
    15/01/2013 at 21:37

[…] te ves con ganas, navegando por pinterest encontré un tutorial para hacer banderines en un blog (Yves Town) que no os podéis perder! A mí me queda lejos el día que saque la máquina de coser, pero quién […]

16/04/2013 at 02:43

I’m new to sewing and I’m in the process of making this bunting. Thank you so much for posting this tutorial! I think I bought the wrong kind of bias tape, though, so I’ll have to go back to the store. If you see this comment, can you tell me what size of bias tape you used? Thank you!

5 Original Summer Party Ideas for Outdoor Entertaining | Blog
    25/07/2013 at 20:46

[…] fun by recreating the sights and sounds of an old time county fair. Decorate with haystacks and bunting. Build your own midway with game booths and food stands. Host a pie eating contest and serve hot […]

Tara S